Recent changes in travel requirements mean that all U.S. citizens departing the country will need either a passport book or the new passport card to re-enter.
To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to a passport acceptance facility with two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, and a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license. Acceptance facilities include many federal, state and probate courts, post offices, some public libraries and a number of county and municipal offices.
Applying for a Passport
In the Travis County area, you can apply for a passport at the following passport acceptance facilities:
- GMF Station: 8225 Cross Park Drive, (512) 342-1259
- Balcones Station: 11900 Jollyville Road, (512) 331-9802
- Chimney Corners Station: 3575 Far West Blvd., (800) 275-8777
- Downtown Station: 510 Guadalupe, (512) 494-2380
- South East Station: 4516 Burleson Road, (512) 444-1083
- University Station: 2201 Guadalupe Street, (512) 232-5488
- Westlake Station: 3201 Bee Caves Road, Suite 120, (512) 328-5065
- Bluebonnet Station: 1822 W. Braker Lane, (512) 873-9289
- Lake Travis Branch: 2110 RR 620, (512) 263-2458
- Mockingbird Station: 7310 Manchaca Road, (512) 416-1094
- North Austin Station: 4300 Speedway, (512) 453-2785
- Travis County District Clerk: 1000 Guadalupe, (512) 854-9457
To locate a passport acceptance facility in your area or to check the status of your pending application online, you may visit the U.S. Department of State website.
If you have a passport that was issued within the past 15 years and you were over 16 years old at the time it was issued, you may apply for a passport by mail by downloading the "Application for a US Passport by Mail" (DSP-82 PDF form).
If you Need your Passport in a Hurry
There are 13 regional passport agencies, which serve customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. You must present your tickets or travel itinerary, as well as the other required items and an additional fee will be required to expedite your application. Appointments are required in such cases. The Department of State office in Houston, the nearest of 13 national passport agencies for my district, maintains a a toll-free customer service line that provides general passport information, passport agency location, and hours of operation and information regarding emergency passport services during non-working hours. The number is (877) 487-2778 and the nearest office is located at:
Source: Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs
Houston Passport Agency
Mickey Leland Federal Building
1919 Smith Street, Suite 1400
Houston, Texas 77002-8049